Whether you have a home or a business, you need a printer. Period. However, what kind of printer you need depends on your requirements. When it comes to printers, you have two options: you can either go for single functionality printer or multi-functional printer. In today’s technologically advanced times, it definitely doesn’t make sense to have multiple devices for various functions when everything can be done through a single device – multi-functional printer.
You will find hundreds of multi-functional printer models in the market. These all-in-one printers can do everything – right from basic printing to scanning to copying to fax to much more. At the same time it doesn’t mean that every model is the right model for you. While making a purchase decision, you have to consider following elements:
If you are having a home office, you need to have connectivity via a USB port because that will make your work simple and easy. If you are looking for office use, choose a printer that connects with internet network. You can just connect the printer with the office network and it’s ready for use by everyone in the office.
You will find several printer models that offer PC-less features, which means you don’t need to connect the printer to the PC to avail functionalities such as print, copy and fax. If you are looking to reduce overheads and easier installation, opt for this type of printers.
This is the main deciding factor in your purchase. To select the perfect printer, you have to check for duty cycle, capacity, speed, quality, color output and costs and see if it fits with your requirements.
- Duty cycle: Duty cycle is the maximum number of prints the printer can handle in a month. A basic no-frills consumer-grade printer can handle less than 2,000 prints per month, while low-end business printer will be around 10,000 prints per month. As you go for expensive model, this number moves up.
- Capacity: The capacity of your printer is based on the cartridge or toner. Make sure the cartridge and toners are long lasting for lower operational costs.
- Speed: Higher the speed, quicker the work will done. Otherwise, your employees will spend more time around the printer waiting for the printouts than being productive on their desks. The speed of the printer is measured in Prints Per Minute.
- Quality: Most of the devices will produce satisfactory office documents for daily use. However, if you are in need of high-end printouts for your marketing material, you will need to go for higher models and expensive paper stock.
- Color: Black and white printers are cheaper than the color version. If you are looking for a printer for accounting department, black and white printer will make more; while, your marketing department will definitely need high-end color printer that gives out beautiful prints.
- Input/Output trays: These trays are for holding papers – blank and printed. If you are expecting high usage, then you should make sure that the model offers multiple 250 or 500 page input and output trays.
Duplex printing is the ability to print on both the sides of the paper automatically. Although most of the users don’t consider this functionality much important, it’s anything but that – especially in the long run when the world is looking for green solutions. So better opt for duplex printing and save a small fortune in paper costs.
You will find many printers offering scanning capabilities. If you are going to use printer just for office, a basic all-in-one printer sufficiently offers color 600 dpi resolution. Also, do consider the time required to complete A4 scan.
When you opt for copier functionality, you longer need to have another device as large as your printer sitting ideally on your desk. The copier can give color copies as well as black and white copies. You will also need to check Copies Per Minute to assess the speed of the printer.
If your business still uses fax, go for the model that offers fax functionality. The printer will use the printing functionality to receive faxes and the scanner to send faxes. If you have a model that offers Automatic document feeder along with fax, you will be able to send multiple pages at once.
Automatic document feeder
Automatic document feeder is connect to the scanner because it’s all about scanning documents in bulk. You just need to drop 20, 40 or more sheets depending on the model and it will be scanned automatically. If you have a requirement to scan small amount of documents automatically, you should look for this feature.
Displays and card readers
Display screens make the usage simple and easy, especially when they are offering PC-free use. With the help of display screen, you or your employees can easily interact with the printer and get the work done in half the time.
If you want to check out features of each model, visit Acedepot.com. The online store offers wide range of printers, including HP, Lexmark, Okidata, Brother USA, Canon, Samsung, Ricoh, Sindoh and more. If you have any confusion, just contact us. We are known for offering outstanding customer service.