As every company needs to keep track of its employees’ activities, time clocks are used by the businesses since years. There are various benefits of implementing a time clock system.
Benefits of using time clock systems:
- Allows for precise tracking of hours: The system removes the potential ambiguities in attendance record, and thereby eliminates the chances of frauds. Moreover, as the system is automated, the chances of human error are null.
- Easy measurement of productive hours: This system will help track the actual productivity of each and every employee. So any employee taking extra responsibility, staying late and or letting go of his/her lunch hour is highly visible to the management.
- Easier payroll processing: As the time clock records all the information and transmits it to a central file, it removes the chances of transcription errors and delays. This also reduces the workload for payroll staff.
- Easy enforcement of company policy: Any time clock can be programmed according to the profile of each and every employee. This flexibility of customization leads to better management.
- Simplifies employees’ life: If your employees have to travel a lot, then sophisticated time clock system is a must for easy payroll.
- Simpler multi-location record-keeping: If you have multiple office location, a good centrally-programmed time clock system will save lot of your time that would otherwise be used for transferring records. This kind of system will make sense for the employees from all the locations too.
Although time clock systems are beneficial, you cannot simply grab any of the systems available in the market. You have to select the one according to your need. Keeping in mind various types of businesses and their requirements, you will be able to find several types of time clocks.
Various types of time clock systems
- Punch card locks: This time clock system is based on cards. The employees either have to stamp or punch a card with the time. Please note that the card-based time clocks can either be mechanical or electronic. Although both the time clocks use electricity, mechanical time clocks also use a mechanical wheel to track and stamp or punch the time. The drawback of using punch card system is they are quite expensive and can be easily misused as employees can punch each other’s cards.
- Badges and pins: This type of time clock system uses badges with bar codes or magnetic strips, or a pin number that’s keyed into a pad. These badges identify the employees individually to the time clock, sending the information about the employees to the payroll system. This system is still prone of frauds as employees can share badges and pin numbers.
- Biometric time clocks: This system uses fingerprints, facial scans, or iris scans to identify individual employees. Biometric clocks are supposed to eliminate fraud; however, they are prone to error and can be quite expensive. Please note that this time clock system is useful where controlling the access is important like high-security area.
- Web- and phone-based systems: This system doesn’t have any actual time clock. The employees are supposed to use any computer or any phone to connect to the system and clock in and out. This is quite handy when the employees have to travel a lot to clients’ remote locations.
So study your requirements, the time clock system’s features and then make an informed buying decision.